Monday, February 7, 2011

Nappa Cabbage and Carrots

A friend asked for vegetable recipes and this one was the first one I thought of.  I need to make this again sometime.  

This comes originally from Savoring Spices and Herbs by Julie Sahni (I omit a couple of things, and add others, but credit where it's due).  It's quick.  It's easy.  It's cheap.  I usually serve it dumped over rice. 



Nappa Cabbage and Carrots with Caraway

1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1 T olive oil
1 large carrot shaved to ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1/4 medium onion diced finely (optional, unless you are me)
1 smallish head of nappa cabbage sliced  1 -1 1/2 pounds
1/3 cup water or chicken or veggie stock 
Kielbasa or reindeer sausage* (also optional -- leftover chicken or pork are alright as well -- don't use raw it takes too long to cook) 
1 tsp cider or red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup nuts (I've used pine nuts -- the recipe called for walnuts or pecans -- I've also skipped them entirely, particularly if I'm using meat for my protein)

You need a large skillet with a close fitting lid. 

Toast the caraway seeds in the olive oil over medium high heat until fragrant.  

Add the carrot shavings and quarter onion.  Cook until the carrots are tender.

Add the water or stock, the vinegar and the sliced cabbage, if my dad is around, you might also want to slice up some sausage and toss that it.  Cover the skillet and let the cabbage steam for 10 minutes (longer if using regular cabbage), uncover and let some of the liquid evaporate.  

Toss nuts with the veggies before serving.   

Devour.  Makes 3-4 servings depending on appetites and enthusiasm for cabbage.

*You can add reindeer sausage to the list of things I really miss about Alaska. 

No comments:

Post a Comment