Monday, January 31, 2011

Miscellany

Four Elements: Earth. Joachim Beuckelaer
Yet another Flemish genre painting this week.  And it's Joachim Beuckelaer again -- the guy who blends religious sentiment with cabbage.  Lots and lots of cabbage.  This painting celebrates the fecundity of the earth, and in the background we can see Joseph leading a donkey bearing the pregnant Mary towards Bethlehem.  Symbolism is left as an exercise for the reader.  Meanwhile a man sitting by a well is apparently sad because no matter how many times he lowers the bucket, all he draws up is vegetables.  At least, that's the way it looks to me.  Possibly because I'm feverish. 

Yes, I am sick again.  I even stayed home from school in the hope that a break and sleep will mean that I arise tomorrow ready to take on the world.  I'm still hopeful, but the headache and fever routine are old.   And I'm trying to do homework anyway, so I don't get totally behind.  It's really hard to think straight when you have a fever.

I know most of you are nodding and saying, "Yeah, Sarah, duh."  But really, really hard, and then you start thinking about enchanted wells the only yield cabbage and discussing what passes for high fashion* this season with totally uninterested male friends who happen to be online in the wrong place at the wrong time.**

So all that being said have a couple of links that are vaguely food related, and I'll go take more advil before attempting to think more about logo design.

1) When I'm well enough to be trusted with experimental cooking again, rather than merely heating things up, I am making GINGER ALE.

2) Kevin and Ursula Eat Cheap Reviews of strange premade food.  Mostly things that I would never buy, but frequently funny enough to keep me working on school projects despite the variants on lousy my body keeps devising.

With that, I'm off to take the aforementioned advil, because it's eighty degrees in here and I'm cold. 
  
 *Booooooring.  I suspect that articles about the "new refinement" and the "new romanticism" are just around the corner, and that they will be approximately the same articles that they wrote in 2002.   Except with maxidresses and eighties shoulder pads.  I live in one of the cooler enclaves on the West Coast, and everyone always looks amazing here, and almost nothing like anything in the rag I was reading.  Also, Michael Kors, I know it's a runway show, but not even that can explain slouchy hiking socks with platform sandals. Actually it can, but it's still hideous. 

**But not in anyway that actually makes sense (I'd been perusing a recent issue of Harper's Bazaar for research purposes).  me: Conclusion on fashion magazines-- high fashion models exist to provide a scaffold to turn fancy clothes into interesting planar geometric propositions. The Tall Guy: like, 2-dimensionality is important?
 me: Apparently clothes look better that way. It certainly does nothing for the models, who look terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment